Each year, Industry Week magazine names its picks for the best manufacturing plants in North America. This year, Peru’s plant, in Indiana, USA, has been named one of them!
The cornerstone of the plant’s lean philosophy is based on the 5S -Sort, Shine, Set in order, Standardize and Sustain, principles used by many facilities to create a clean and orderly workplace.
With its application, Peru’s plant minimizes production workers’ non-value-added movements by implementing visual controls, such as labels, reconfiguring workstations and deploying a water-spider route. For example, labels for the bins that carry the breaker switches are color-coded to prevent mix-ups.
Industry Week's Best Plants award program recognizes plants that are on the leading edge of efforts to increase competitiveness, enhance customer satisfaction and create stimulating and rewarding work environments.
Plants are judged on numerous criteria including:
- Management practices geared to achievement in customer satisfaction and continuous improvement,
- Strong quality systems and results,
- Extensive employee involvement,
- Improvements in manufacturing operations,
- A comprehensive effort to achieve world-class manufacturing capability.
> Peru’s plant - The Key figures:
Primary products: Electrical panelboards, Square D worldwide brand