Since 1906, Merten has built its reputation upon innovative and well-designed solutions for intelligent buildings. Innovation, quality, and excellent design played the most important role in the development and implementation of Merten solutions and products.
- 1906 The Merten brothers establish the company in Gummersbach, Germany.
- 1926 Initially producing electrical installation components, Merten moves into plugs and connectors.
- 1961 Merten demonstrates design competency and innovation in its first switch with a screwless cover.
- 1985 Merten focuses on building security and, in 1988, introduces its ARGUS movement detector.
- 2000 The company launches TRANCENT, the world's first glass pushbutton, and the PLANTEC intelligent control device.
- 2004 The company develops its merten@home system, allowing for control of all building functions by PDA, PC or TV.
- 2006 Merten joins Scheider Electric, strengthening the group's global presence in the electrical installation market.
Schneider Electric historyLearn about our history and discover other brands that are part of Schneider Electric today.