Founded in 1920, Merlin Gerin immediately became internationally famous for its revolutionary high voltage circuit breaker. The company grew into an international group with leading-edge expertise in controlling electric power and was acquired by Schneider in 1992.
- 1920 Paul-Louis Merlin and Gaston Gerin form Merlin Gerin to produce electrical equipment. The company initially had 38 employees.
- 1921 Merlin Gerin introduces its first range of high voltage oil circuit breakers and becomes recognized internationally.
- 1950s The company develops the Compact circuit breakers, builds a strong network of distributors and opens first subsidiaries abroad.
- 1967 In high voltage, Merlin Gerin develops the SF6 technology and the first Hexabloc metal-clad substation.
- 1974 In low voltage, the company introduces its Multi 9 range of modular devices.
- 1986 Merlin Gerin launches Masterpact, a 800-6,300 A molded-case circuit breaker.
- 1992 Schneider acquires Merlin Gerin.
- 1994 Merlin Gerin and Telemecanique are merged into Schneider Electric SA.
- 2009 Merlin Gerin products, services, and solutions are migrated to the Schneider Electric brand as its Electrical Distribution offer.
Schneider Electric historyLearn about our history and discover other brands that are part of Schneider Electric today.